Positive Behaviour for Learning, known as PBL is an evidence-based whole school systems approach that:
- addresses the diverse academic and social needs of every student to support them to be successful
- supports students in early childhood settings through to senior years of schooling
- enables schools to establish a continuum of supports that are intensified to meet the needs of every student
- is team driven, using a problem solving approach (data, systems and practices) that engages students, parents and all school staff
- establishes positive social expectations for all in the school community
- provides a framework for the school and its community to collectively support the wellbeing of every student.
When implemented well:
- students respond positively as they have been taught what is expected of them
- staff deliver consistent responses to student learning and behaviour
- students feel safe and cared for at school. Their parents, family and community are more involved in their school
- unproductive and challenging behaviour can be significantly reduced for most students.