Tier 2 targeted
The school team responsible for Tier 2 targeted interventions address students' social-emotional learning through evidence-based programs which are delivered to small groups of students or individual students. The involvement of the classroom teacher helps the student apply their newly learned skills in the classroom and also builds the teacher's capacity to understand and respond to students with unproductive and challenging behaviours. Small group interventions often include skill building and a self monitoring process so that a student can manage their own behaviours. Students are taught to self regulate and learn from natural consequences.
Team membership includes:
- principal or delegate
- PBL team representative
- Learning and Support teacher(s) with behavioural and academic expertise
- school counsellor
- coach support
Team responsibilities are to:
- connect with and build upon the essential features of Tier 1 Universal Prevention
- connect with and build upon systems and practices of evidenced-based effective classroom practices
- establish team member roles and responsibilities, including identification of coordinators of the Tier 2 Targeted Group Intervention/s
- use effective team meeting processes
- develop procedures and data decision rules for student identification
- provide behavioural assessment, interventions and supports
- coordinate the Tier 2 classroom problem solving process and Targeted Group Interventions
- coordinate and communicate with the team(s) that coordinates Tier 3 Intensive Individualised supports
- use data to monitor and evaluate student progress and overall program effectiveness
- communicate to all staff about interventions and responsibilities.
Tier 2 Targeted interventions systems:
- build upon Tier 1 Universal Prevention systems
- match students to interventions
- monitor and review to decide whether to fade, maintain or intensify interventions
- communicate with staff and families.
Tier 2 Targeted interventions practices include:
- Check-In Check-Out (CICO)
- social skills groups.